Title: Mainframe Production Control Specialist
Agency: Texas Railroad Commission
Address: 1701 N. Congress Ave., 8th floor, Austin TX 78701
Solicitation Reference Number: RRC16955
Closing Date for Resumes: June 21, 2021
The Railroad Commission of Texas ITS division requires the services of a Mainframe Production Control Specialist to provide support for agency mainframe system and services, hereafter referred to as Worker.
• Work involves setting-up and submitting daily batch schedules, performing changes to the nightly schedule to ensure optimal use of mainframe resources, and ensuring work is complete so that daily overnight batch executes according to schedule.
• Additional responsibilities include supporting data entry and control work processes, overseeing and coordinating mainframe operations in the State’s Consolidated Data Center Services (DCS), and working with the Network Administration, Customer Support and Applications Development & Support teams to provide support necessary for day-to-day mainframe operations.
The Worker will apply their expert knowledge and experience as a Mainframe Production Control Specialist to support both the needs of the Legacy Systems as well as those for the Mainframe Transformation Team.
WORKER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Maintain and provide technical support for Mainframe Production Control and Support Jobs and monthly Mainframe Job Scheduler.
• Daily responsibilities include scheduling, modifying and monitoring production mainframe jobs, completing daily and weekly balancing procedures, modifying JCL as requested by programmers.
• Monitor execution of automated and manually submitted jobs and adjust schedules to ensure completion and timely delivery of production work.
• Analyze, plan, and manage production control activities to improve job runtimes.
• Troubleshoot basic errors related to batch processing abends, analyze root causes, and work to derive solutions to ensure issues have been corrected at root cause to improve system integrity and productivity.
• Work closely with mainframe developers for routine code reviews and to address production issues and related fixes.
• Participate in testing new batch processes to ensure productivity is not adversely affected. Escalates issues as appropriate.
• Implement operating procedures and timely documentation of procedures; ensure implementation is in accordance to standard operating procedures and follows same; escalate errors as appropriate.
• Prepare for and participate in daily status reviews, including status reports to clients and management.
• Provide technical and administrative support required for batch failures, late critical batches, and SRTs.
• Support agency application development work by creating and maintaining procedures for use during application deployments; and assist with creating and expanding application environments during development.
• Provide technical assistance to programmers and operations personnel for all problems and testing that involve mainframe operations.
6 Years, Required - Experience in Mainframes batch and console operations.
5 Years, Required - Experience in MVS, COBOL, JCL, VSAM, DB2, CICS and other Mainframe related Tools for Batch Environment
5 Years, Required - Experience in scheduling on-request batch jobs that require immediate execution.
5 Years, Required - Experience in working on console
5 Years, Required - Experience in scheduling on-request batch jobs that require immediate execution
5 Years, Required - Working knowledge of TSO/ISPF dialogs, Tivoli Workload Scheduler for z/OS, JCL coding, IBM utilities and programs
3 Years, Required - General technical knowledge of FTP, SFTP, NFTP
3 Years, Required - Basic knowledge of IMS skills
• 5+ years’ experience with Batch and CICS Cobol, IMS programming and problem resolution.
• 5+ years’ experience developing and troubleshooting complex JCL
• 2+ years’ experience writing, analyzing, and debugging REXX programs in a z/OS environment.
• 2+ years’ experience maintaining mainframe printer assignments, including working knowledge of IPPrintway.
• Working knowledge of Computer Associates Jobtrac software for scheduling and monitoring production mainframe jobs.
• Working knowledge of BPXBATCH processing for remote executes.
• Working knowledge of batch SFTP and FTPS processing.
• Working knowledge of Informatica.