Title: Cloud Data Engineer/Consultant
Agency: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Location: Winters Complex (701 W 51st) in Austin, Tx 78751
Hours: 8-5, Monday to Friday
Duration: On going
Visa status: US Citizen, Green Card, EAD
Texas Health and Human Services Commission requires the services of 1 Systems Analyst 3, hereafter referred to as Candidate(s), who meets the general qualifications of Systems Analyst 3, Applications/Software Development and the specifications outlined in this document for the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
As the State of Texas rushes to address the many impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become critical to rely on the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) to provide reliable, up to the minute data regarding the current state of infection in the state. As DSHS works to provide this critical data to inform decision makers, health care administrators and citizens, the agency is experiencing serious limitations in the ability to efficiently and reliably provide the data due to a legacy of disparate systems and data that currently resides in numerous locations and databases across the agency. Sharing this vital data across all of these systems is inherently difficult, time-consuming, and requires resource intensive manual and inefficient processes. These cumbersome manual processes have a severe impact on Texas’ ability to respond effectively to the COVID-19 pandemic and prevent the loss of life.
The Infectious Disease Data Integration (IDDI) project is intended to improve the efficiency of current processes. An integrated approach to data services will aid in providing the most current data to inform decision makers about the health and readiness statuses of jurisdictions across the state.
The Infectious Disease Data Integration project aims to create a data analytics platform plus data governance with Informatica Axon. The IDDI platform will facilitate the sharing, reporting, and analytics of the data collected from the COVID-19 contact tracing in the Texas Health Trace (THT) system, the COVID-19 case management data contained in the National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NEDSS), and COVID-19 immunization tracking in the ImmTrac system.
All work products resulting from the project shall be considered “works made for hire” and are the property of the HHSC. HHSC may include pre-selection requirements that potential Vendors (and their Workers) submit to and satisfy criminal background checks as authorized by the Texas law. HHSC will pay no fees for interviews or discussions, which occur during the process of selecting a Worker(s).
HHSC IT is currently implementing a Analytics Platform with Informatica PowerCenter, Snowflake and AWS technologies as well as Informatica Axon Data Governance with a goal to accomplish improved COVID-19 reportinog.
- Assist DSHS program area use of the IDDI Platform to its fullest potential
- Assist with analytics use with off the shelf reporting tools like SAS, SPSS, Tableau, ARCgis
- Assist with publishing as needed to Tableau and/or ARCgis servers or other web platforms
- Data modeling, data profiling, data quality, data validation, data curation and data transformation
- Resolve any data source ingestion issues
- Operationalize ingestion of new data sources as needed
- Other work includes, but is not limited to:
- Validation of performance metric requirements
- Creation of EPICS/User Stories
- Creation and validation of dashboard and report mock-ups
- Automation of data acquisition from a variety of data sources
- Dashboard and report development
- Testing – integration, load and stress, and user
- Deployment / publication internally and externally
- Operations support and enhancement of the IDDI platform
- 8 yrs, Require - Experience as a data engineer implementing data pipelines for a data mart or a data warehouse.
- 6 yrs, Require - Effectively manage multiple responsibilities, prioritize conflicting assignments, and switch quickly between assignments, as required.
- 4 yrs, Require - Experience in interfacing with tools such as Informatica PowerCenter and Informatica Data Quality jobs.
- 4 yrs, Require - Design highly scalable ETL processes with complex data transformations, data formats including error handling and monitoring.
- 3 yrs, Require - Experience in implementing data pipelines using cloud native services on any one of the major cloud platforms.
- 2 yrs, Require - Hands-on experience implementing solutions using Snowflake utilities, SnowSQL, and SnowPipe.
- 3 yrs, Prefer - Prior experience in the Healthcare Industry
- 2 yrs, Prefer - Experience working in an agile sprint team.
- 2 yrs, Prefer - Prior experience with an HHS agency
Services shall be provided during normal business hours unless otherwise coordinated through the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding State holidays when the agency is closed.
The primary work location(s) will be at Winters Complex (701 W 51st) in Austin, Tx 78751. Any and all travel, per diem, parking, and/or living expenses shall be at the Candidate's and/or Vendor's expense. Texas Health and Human Services Commission will provide pre-approved, written authorization for travel for any services to be performed away from the primary work location(s). Pre-approved travel expenses are limited to the rates and comply with the rules prescribed by the State of Texas for travel by its classified employees, including any requirement for original receipts.
The Candidate(s) may be required to work outside the normal business hours on weekends, evenings and holidays, as requested. Payment for work over 40 hours will be at the hourly rate quoted and must be coordinated and pre-approved through Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
Due to the nature of the information handled in this position, all entities must sign a Data Use Agreement as a condition of employment.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION (Required): insert preferred work hours and work location for this Contract Position)
A) Flexible hours as needed to accomplish objectives.
B) Services shall be provided during normal business hours unless otherwise coordinated through the HHSC. Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m., excluding State holidays when the agency is closed.
C) The primary work location will be the Winters Complex, 701 W. 51st Street, Austin, Tx. 78751. Any and all travel, per diem, parking, and/or living expenses shall be at the worker’s and/or Vendor’s expense.
D) The worker may be required to work outside the normal business hours on weekends, evenings and holidays, as requested. Payment for work over 40 hours will be at the hourly rate quoted and must be coordinated and pre-approved through HHSC.